February 27, 2009

Promenade Plantée



In Paris' 12th arrondissement is the Promenade Plantée, a 4.5 km park, which was created on an abandoned 19th-century railway viaduct. So, it is a park that hovers above the city, above the cars, at apartment window-level. It runs from Bastille all the way east almost to Bois de Vincennes.



My friend Aralena and I ventured up to walk along its heights. I was charmed by Aralena and her red coat and by the idea of the thing itself. It was impressive, even on a gray pre-Spring day and I can't wait to return to see what happens to this strip when Spring fully hits. There were signs all about that it is on its way.














The Sun Shines For Everyone (when it shines, yes).



So, there is a similar thing in Manhattan. It's called the highline, an old elevated railway that runs through the lower part of the West Side of Manhattan. It is a big deal because for years it has just been a dilapidated, overgrown old railway (pretty cool itself) and now the city is making it into a similar space as the Promenade Plantée here in Paris.


This is the highline as it has been.


The plans...

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Emilie, I love the way you view life...so compelling! Thanks for sharing your enthusiastic and childlike love of life this way. It encourages me to do the same!

Anonymous said...

I did this one once but had completely forgotten where it was. Thanks for the memories.

rachel said...

Emilie, you take such beautiful pictures!

Rosie said...

I love hints of spring - they are kind of a tease, but oh so hopeful! Thanks for sharing them with me.

Isn't it cool when people have a vision for "the more" like the highline plans! Great way to live!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...