February 24, 2009

Another Day with the Functionaries of Paris



Look at these guys and their hats, which signify that they belong to the elite of the elite of militaries in France. I was so impressed that they wore them with such pride and dignity. And, I must admit, I do wonder if there is a place where I might be able to get my hands on one myself.

Xavier filled me in a bit on these special dudes. They are all trained at the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr (ESM, literally the "Special Military School of St Cyr"), which is the foremost French military academy established in 1803 by Napoleon Bonaparte. In other words, they are the bomb.military.fr.

So, apparently the way they appeared in the streets was the casual version of themselves. Here is what they look like in their full get-up. Spectacular. Full-on, with curtain tassels.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know, I love it!

But Nicolas went to a rival military academy so he likes to talk shit about the St Cyriens, like how they're not so elite and all that.

But I've never seen Nicolas in a feathered hat, so I'm reserving judgment.

It was LOVELY to see you yesterday, and the adorable Miss M, and Mr X. Let's do it again soon. Next time I'll bring the pooch. xxL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...