May 17, 2010

Esplanade.



We have this terrace at our apartment. As my friend Chris said, "it is like the set of a film." Not because it is glamorous. Oh no. But because when you walk out onto it, you are confronted with a wall of windows (a much higher wall than our 5 stories) - a good 250 apartments whose residents, at any moment, might be looking in your direction. Unnerving to some, glorious to others. There are no sweeping park or river views. However, now that the sun is high in the sky, we get sunshine galore. We also like to have barbeques on the terrace. Additionally, a few plants are growing, including one tomato.


That, there, just beyond where those boys are chatting, is a 5-story plunge.



Perhaps best of all was tonight's movie session. Xavier is a big fan of projectors and big screens (remember Top Gun in our apartment in Paris?). The terrace is now officially outdoor-big-screen-movie-space. All those window-people (neighbors) get to watch too. We blast the sound for them. It's like a drive-in.

8 comments:

TSL said...

I can't imagine how fun living in the city as you do must be. I experience through your blog.

Anne said...

What's with the pay phone?

Gaby Munoz said...

I hope to God that some day when I move to a city, I end up with neighbors that screen movies on the terrace. Perhaps I can search for some in D.C.

By the way, Emilie, a couple of your former students (including myself) are moving to DC in the fall! I'll be going to GWU law school, and Giuliana will be doing an internship and applying to law school. Jackie Britz is also planning on moving there. We're planning on rooming together at some point. All three of us will have to schedule a trip to your beloved NY, and perhaps reunite with our wonderful Gay Paris professor. Amazing how Paris, the city that brought us all together, has a way of reuniting people again and again.

Brad said...

Great post. I love the rue Joly picture and would very much like to catch a film on the terrace.

Alexia said...

the first picture reminds me of
"Rear Window" starring Grace Kelly!!

loving your new cocoon Mme JOLY!

Emilie said...

The pay phone is so that in distress, we can make calls. They have become such underused, unappreciated members of society.

Dad, you guys better come while the weather is nice enough for a film.

Gaby, fantastic! Please please do come and we will have a reunion and watch Gigi on my terrace...

Jill said...

I'm in love. I can't wait to sit with you guys out there and shoot the breeze, possibly catch a film. It would be fun to watch 'Rear Window' out there. One of the comments was right on...it does feel a bit like that movie.

Xavier Joly said...

I would like to say that the pay phone was found in the trash in new York few years ago...

Brad, we look forward to watching a movie on the terrace anytime soon!

Xavier.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...