November 7, 2012

Blue red.


(The ice rink at Rockefeller Center this morning when I walked by on my way to work)

I have been accused by my friends this election cycle of being a "Romney supporter" (proclaimed with dagger eyes and disgust). This is not true. I was not. First things first. However, I was also not an unwavering Obama supporter.

I will say that I was all for a complex and nuanced conversation about the election. I was also very interested in Mr. Romney giving Mr. Obama a rousing challenge. In fact, I wanted this race to be as close as possible. I am not claiming to be clairvoyant, but I did think that Obama would ultimately pull through. And when I saw those polls that were predicting a close shave, I was reassured. To me, a close race was the very thing that might propel Obama to make movement. Purposeful movement. I am not alone in being dissatisfied with his first term performance. Healthy humility is a great thing to inspire change. Under current circumstances, a president who believes he has a mandate after the election is dicey for everyone.

May I also note that with all the criticism of big money republican donations and the threat of "bought elections" - the winner was clearly not purchased or funded by that crowd of menacing, mega-rich guys...which, like it or not, does say something about money and influence and politics. Even if you have a lot of money, your message - even if propelled far and wide - still has to ultimately convince voters.

I am heartened by ballot results in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington when it comes to gay marriage. Excellent progress for very basic rights. We will look back historically with disgust at how long it took to overturn this type of discrimination.

The fiscal challenges this country faces is another nightmare entirely.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...