September 2, 2010

Yucatec: Tulu'um.



I have to admit that I was more excited about swimming than visiting Mayan ruins (shameful), but we did visit them nonetheless. We went at around 8 in the morning (yes, we were vacation ambitious) and I liked that all of the visitors seemed to be Mexicans and not tourists. Chris and I were oddballs.



The placards explaining the ruins and their historical context were hilarious because they were translated pretty literally. For example, "...The boats couldn't resist the turbulence on the open sea..." I think the boats must have fallen hopelessly in love.







2 comments:

Diogenes said...

I don't know if you are still in Mexico, but if you are, try to get to the ruins at Chichen Itza - they are, in my oppinion, as remarkable as anything in Egypt. They are about an hour from Tulum or Playa del Carmen.

Dioegnes said...

opinion, not "oppinion"...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...