March 22, 2010

Heavyweights.



Some of the people I work for are influential to the max. What does this odd looking machine, presumably from the 50's or 60's, have to do with that? Well, this machine is called an auto pen. It uses a mold to replicate signatures and handwriting. Really important people do not have enough time to sign all the documents that need their signatures. I had never heard of such a machine before my time at my current job. I wonder how many people in the world have molds for a machine like this one...

In other work news, I can say without equivocation that after three years of adjunct teaching, tour guiding, photo taking and a whole lot of Paris bike riding, 9-5 is exhausting. I was really getting good at all that.

4 comments:

TSL said...

Good heavens, I would love one of those to recreate drawings I am doing, that would be incredible! If they have any extras, let me know!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm from an older generation than you, Emilie, but I certainly know about these 'autosignature machines'.

In fact, I'm pretty sure John Kennedy used one to sign the letter I got from him when he was President.......

Anne said...

I worked on Capitol Hill in the mid 1980s and while my boss did not use an autopen, many other members of Congress did at that time. In fact, it was the job for many an intern to sit in the basement in a tiny space called "the cage" and run the autopen over hundreds of letters to constituents.

Judie said...

I love that you featured this, I have always seen them using it but never used it myself...you will laugh when you find out how i get his docs signed...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...