April 27, 2013

Respite.



Cat Island. I didn't take any time while we were there to tell the tale of the place, but it is worth telling. Xavier must have been pretty converted because I started to receive links to real estate listings on the island in my inbox from him at night when we were near the little hub of internet connection. Apparently, he was seriously considering asking the owners of the resort about the possibility of running the joint when they were ready to retire. I understood implicitly. We stayed at a little family run place (Fernandez Bay Village) - actually the opposite of what "resort" usually implies...this is a string of small beach houses along a remote bay. The owner's family inherited the bay ~1800 - such a thing to inherit! (The injustice/generosity of colonial history). I guess he and his wife decided to take a portion of that land and run a resort there. So they raised their two children on the remote island (where it was difficult to find basic supplies while we were there. The guy has a pilot's license and plane so that he can fly to Miami to supply up) and I guess they had an instructor on the island for school and then went to Florida when high school came around. In any case, it really is a faraway and fantastical place. On either end of the bay (which is like 1 mile long), there are reefs and great snorkeling - tiger stripes, translucent white fish with blue eyes, yellow ones, vibrant blue - beauty. And then the water - maybe the most striking part of the place. I have always said that out of the places I choose to travel - the same place twice is not a good idea. This was an exception.










This little froggie took a liking Xavier's razor.


(Little lady locks turned completely curly in the humidity).

2 comments:

Lauren said...

hi emilie, this picture was just posted to Humans of New York and I couldn't help but wonder if this was your little girl... if not, I think I may just have found her doppelgänger :)

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/49138394795/omg-look-at-this-one

Emilie said...

Funny, right? We were in Central Park...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...