June 23, 2009

This is for Margot.



These days, I am basking in the sunshine that visits Paris. When I first arrived in Paris and the gray and the rain were indefatigable, I read a story by Ray Bradbury called All Summer in a Day. It is a story about a class in which no one can remember a time when there wasn't rain. All but Margot. She can remember because she is from a place where the sun shines. Extraordinarily, the sun shines for a brief moment in the story, and, cruelly, the children lock Margot in the closet and bask in the sun while she is still in the dark. I think of Margot and her plight when the sun is cruel and doesn't shine. More aptly, I think of Margot when the sun shines. When the sun appears, he brings lovely apparitions everywhere, spaces of darkness and blocked light. I love shadows because they necessarily mean sun. They inspire because even if they are darkness, they signify light.

















7 comments:

Xavier said...

Cool pictures my love, that I love

morganne blair witchfield said...

These remind me of De Chirico's "Melancholy and Mystery of the Street."

Emilie said...

cool refernce morganne. merci merci.

Jill said...

Cool, cool post. Love it!

Shelli said...

I've been lurking for a long time, but this post (and Jules dancing on the next one, fabulous!) made me want to acknowledge how much I enjoy your blog and what a good job you do conveying your enthusiasm and intelligence.

Shelli

Emilie said...

merci shelli! very nice to hear...

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

Love this series Emilie, you are a great urban explorer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...