⪧ We left our life in New York City to make a new one in Provence ⪦

May 19, 2008

Signalize

A particularly delightful aspect of interacting with French people all the time is watching them gesticulate. These gestures are not scarce - most conversations are peppered with them. The Joly family demonstrates a few:

1. Attention: To communicate that someone is going to get it if they keep it up. Louise, Paule and Vincent give us various versions of this one.

video

video

video


2. Une vraie barbe: Used when someone is extremely tiresome, boring or irksome. Fabien does this well.

video


3. Avoir peur: This one is used to express when someone is scared.

video


4. Passer sous le nez: To describe how someone missed something entirely - that it passed right under their nose. Featuring Marie.

video


5. Voler: To steal or hide something away. Starring the lovely Xavier.

video


6. ...basically "Yeah right."

video


7. Verre dans le nez: Used to convey that someone has had too much to drink.

video


8. Barrons-nous | On se tire: let's get out of here...or used in the middle of a story to communicate that whoever is being spoken about left speedily.

video


9. J'en ai ras le bol: Used to communicate that you've had enough.

video


10. Qu'est-ce qu'il chante, là ?: Singing falsities...or another "Yeah right" sort-of gesture.

video

video

7 comments:

Julie said...

Emilie

I should be sleeping, everyone else here is, but I was waiting for bread to finishing baking and was completely delighted by this post. It made me a bit giddy actually. The strange part about it: as I was watching all these lovely French people in your life demonstrate their French-ness, it was so clear to me what a winsome and wonderful person you are in their life. I'll explain more in an email but just know that I love you.

kell-bell said...

I am a sometimes visitor to your blog. I found it through Jared Stanley, a friend of my brother, Tom. Anyway...I loved this post, it explained so much! I watch old french movies by Marcel Pagnol, and this explains all the strange gestures. Your blog is so fun, thanks for sharing your experiences!

emilie said...

kell-bell - i love jared stanley - we have many teenage memories together...and your brother isn't tom mildenhall, is he? well. in any case, i am very pleased that you read this from time to time. it makes me glad. like pollyanna.

emilie said...

jules - thanks and i love you so bad.

tablesawed said...

What an awesome use of a blog. To share these gestures with others. My mom is French-Canadian (American), My dad is Italian-American.

So, you can imagine the peculiar mix of arm, face, shoulder, neck, and hand flailing that I was exposed to as a child. Lots of finger pinching and wrist action, to say the least. I’d be interested to see some of the more “colorful” gestures that the French displayed when I was there. Seems more pronounced in the urban areas, no?

This was very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

emilie said...

indeed...this is the more toned-down version of french gestures... ;)

Anonymous said...

Just an added comment on the last one. My father would have said: "pisser dans un violon". To piss in a violin... admitedly useless gesture...
So fun to see all this.
Julie B.
This is my first time leaving a comment but I read your blog with great pleasure from time to time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...